Raise the Roof

2016 Raise The Roof in Seattle

A Benefit for the Looking Out Foundation

Moderators: LizzyD, lookingout86, COKeekers

Re: 2016 Raise The Roof in Seattle

Postby tomatohead » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:56 pm

:lol: \:D/ =D>
shurobe wrote:I got mine! My first RTR, too! I have heard a lot from folks who are familiar with the previous events, but it seems this one is somewhat different. Will be a fun time, no doubt. Already looking at more than two dozen Bramily members going! The bonus is the 4th is my 40th birthday. Going to be a hell of a time! :D :D :D
tomatohead
Needs to see a few more shows!

Postby tomatohead » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:59 pm

Hoping she'll do "Holy Night!"
tomatohead

Postby markC » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:25 pm

Nobody needs to be moving to Canada! We need to stay here and hold down the fort. We need to revive the music, activism and volunteer culture that we saw in response to the Vietnam war. But this time we're responding to climate change that will devastate those living in poverty, we're responding to fight mass incarceration, racial profiling and the family destroying deportations that our "country of immigrants" is on the verge of imposing on our brothers and sisters - "Building the wall" sums up what we're heading into plain and simple - wake up! I know I've certainly been sleeping... have you? Brandi [11/9]

Although I won’t be able to attend the RTR event, I’m really interesting in knowing what Brandi has planned for us. She knows she has quite the army of fans who want to follow her in making a positive difference in this world. And, now, with the results from this election, this is crucial.

I remember when she recommended that we read “Half The Sky” some RTR’s ago. Does she have anything she wants us to specifically do?
“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.” - Harriet Tubman
markC
Too much time on their hands!

Postby mishl16 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:46 am

so did we get an email about this or am I just supposed to keep checking this site for info. I didn't know we got a secret code to get tickets. Somehow i'm always a step behind. Boo hoo
mishl16

Postby markC » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 am

As someone who wasn't in on the pre-sale, this RTR seems to be moving differently as in the past.
“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.” - Harriet Tubman
markC

Postby bertgos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:06 am

markC wrote:As someone who wasn't in on the pre-sale, this RTR seems to be moving differently as in the past.

This event is being managef by LOF as a whole as opposed to AT. Ultimately,that was our goal when we started RTR. It is and will continue to be larger than one or two people. LOF will be able to pull off bigger and different ideas. We'll stay involved as long as we are able to but at the same time, it can be very time consuming and we all have our own lives to lead.
In dog beers, I've only had one.
bertgos
Site Admin

Postby hollyinpa » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:16 am

bertgos wrote:
markC wrote:As someone who wasn't in on the pre-sale, this RTR seems to be moving differently as in the past.

This event is being managef by LOF as a whole as opposed to AT. Ultimately,that was our goal when we started RTR. It is and will continue to be larger than one or two people. LOF will be able to pull off bigger and different ideas. We'll stay involved as long as we are able to but at the same time, it can be very time consuming and we all have our own lives to lead.

Who knew back in 2009 when we did the first RTR that it would evolve into this??!

It's exciting! RTRs were and are a lot of work - especially given that we were learning as we went along.
hollyinpa
Needs to get a new hobby!

Postby tigger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:12 pm

No membership for me,
just donated my $40.00 to LOF \:D/
Cogito ergo sum

... fill the world with music, love and pride.
tigger

Postby dtsHurricane » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:46 pm

LOF will surely benefit more from that. Well done, Tig! =D>
-LisaW
dtsHurricane

Postby Renegade_Pilgrim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:04 pm

I am not looking forward to RTR as much this year as I have in past years. :( Really regretting I went VIP this time around. I am still on the fence about the new site that shall not be named....I kind of want to see what the behavior is going to be like.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality. -Dante Alighieri
Renegade_Pilgrim

Postby tigger » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:57 pm

dtsHurricane wrote:Well done, Tig! =D>

Thanks Lisa
Cogito ergo sum

... fill the world with music, love and pride.
tigger

Postby NJRockgrrl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 am

sad to say, I won't be attending RTR this year...
Unfortunately, I haven't been to one since PHILLY 2013.
I certainly miss Seattle & ALL the friends!
For those LUCKY ones going, I hope you have a BLAST!
Too bad LIVE STREAM isn't available, but I understand it cannot be done with PIN DROP type show.
Take lotsa pix for those of us who cannot be there in person!
-alison
www.myspace.com/NJRockgrrl
www.facebook.com/NJRockgrrl
NJRockgrrl
Has caught the bug!

Postby hollyinpa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:39 am

NJRockgrrl wrote:sad to say, I won't be attending RTR this year...
Too bad LIVE STREAM isn't available, but I understand it cannot be done with PIN DROP type show.

Unfortunately, Kim and I aren't gonna make it this year. I have a required work commitment that popped up on 12/5. Look forward to hearing all about it from those who can attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hollyinpa

Postby hollyinpa » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:39 am

NJRockgrrl wrote:sad to say, I won't be attending RTR this year...

Unfortunately, Kim and I aren't gonna make it this year. I have a required work commitment that popped up on 12/5. Look forward to hearing all about it from those who can attend.

hollyinpa

Postby hollyinpa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:55 am

Can't wait to hear all about RTR! Be sure to post your photos, etc. here.

It's really hard not being there this year...haven't missed one until now. :(
hollyinpa

Postby procrastinator » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 am

Sorry you won't be there. I am looking forward to my first trip to Seattle! Oysters! Take care my friend; you'll be missed!
Betty
procrastinator
Is getting the hang of it!

Postby Renegade_Pilgrim » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Are there any plans for OG ATers to do dinner or drinks ahead of time? I am planning to get up there around 4p.
The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crises maintain their neutrality. -Dante Alighieri
Renegade_Pilgrim

Postby caramia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:13 pm

I can't go last minute, anyone still need tickets? I have two! Would love to do face value ($200), but am happy to get something at this point.

Call or text- 425.478.5777
caramia

Postby hollyinpa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:13 am

So, how was it?

hollyinpa

Postby snobles89 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:52 am

hollyinpa wrote:So, how was it?

The pin drop set up was 100x better than I ever could have imagined. So glad I got to experience it.

snobles89
Is getting the hang of it!

Postby hollyinpa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:19 am

That's awesome! Pin Drop is certainly something to beyond. So glad you enjoyed it.

hollyinpa

Postby Renegade_Pilgrim » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:29 pm

Setlist from last night:
Josh (solo cello)
Again Today
The Story
The Eye
The Things I Regret
Have You Ever
Evangeline (?)
Beginning to Feel the Years
Murder in the City

Closing Performance with small gospel choir:
Amazing Grace
Silent Night
O Holy Night
America, the Beautiful (Instrumental)
His Eye Is On the Sparrow
Hallelujah

It was in line with the Pin Drop shows I have seen and was a lot of fun. There is something about having a raw, acoustic experience. The band was definitely having fun. The Q&A might have been my favorite as Brandi had Patrick, her manager, share several clips of the tribute album for The Story which will be coming out in 2017. Looks like Dolly Parton will be singing The Story, Avett Brothers will be doing Have you Ever, Kris Kristofferson (didn't play a long enough clip for me to figure it out), and Adele doing another version of Hiding my Heart.

The VIP bit was nice though I am not sure it's worth $500. We all got to get a pro photo with the band and a glass of champagne. I met Patrick, one of Brandi's managers, totally randomly, and he was really nice. Everyone was losing their shit over Tom Douglas. Mike McCready was there too. But I don't think anyone saw them sneak in. There were a few ATers there, so I got to catch up, and I met some new fans too. With the exception of one fan from Cayamo, everyone was pretty respectful and it was really low key.

I have posted this on my FB page, but here are my initial thoughts:

1) I still hate drunk fans. I will never like them. However, I do like when they spend thousands of dollars at the auction, most likely without realizing it. That hangover is gonna suck today. Also, Susan is my hero and the new gang leader of the Sharks. SHARKS FOREVER!!!!

2) New fans are interesting. Friendly(except when drunk). And much like ATers, lots of inside jokes and whatnot. So really, not that much different. I said this was most likely going to be my last RTR. And it might be depending on where it is next year, etc. But, I think if I shift my thinking to this being a fundraiser and not a fan event, then I can get behind that. As I have gotten older, I am starting to focus my philanthropic energies to organizations I believe in, and putting my money where my mouth is. LOF is one such organization doing some really great work. So, I can't discount the entire organization due to some douchebag fans with no boundaries. It's just not a fan event anymore and I think that's been the hardest part to let go of.

3) War Child is a great organization to support. I didn't get the impression that LOF was going to be contributing a lot of money to War Child, but brought them out to bring awareness to what they are doing so you could support them if interested. It's one way to make a difference in a child's life.

Anyways, those are my initial thoughts. It was really good to see everyone. I wish I could go to the NYE show but will be in Honduras. Hoping and praying for more shows in the PNW this coming year. The band is rested and Brandi looked great, glad she got the surgery to take care of her health.
Renegade_Pilgrim

Postby magnolia8727 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for the detailed review- I'm glad you ended up enjoying it and would consider going again! I wish we could have made it out there this year- we looked at ways to make it happen, but in the end, the timing just wasn't workable for us.
.:Laura:.

I'll never be the same because we met.
magnolia8727

Postby dtsHurricane » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:01 pm

Renegade_Pilgrim wrote:Closing Performance with small gospel choir:
Amazing Grace
Silent Night
O Holy Night
America, the Beautiful (Instrumental)
His Eye Is On the Sparrow
Hallelujah

It was in line with the Pin Drop shows I have seen and was a lot of fun. There is something about having a raw, acoustic experience. The band was definitely having fun. The Q&A might have been my favorite as Brandi had Patrick, her manager, share several clips of the tribute album for The Story which will be coming out in 2017. Looks like Dolly Parton will be singing The Story, Avett Brothers will be doing Have you Ever, Kris Kristofferson (didn't play a long enough clip for me to figure it out), and Adele doing another version of Hiding my Heart.

The end of that setlist looks AMAZING.
As many shows as I've seen, I still can't believe I couldn't make it to any of the Pin Drop shows. If they ever do a tour of those kind again, I must make a point to go.

The 10-year anniversary of The Story album sounds like it will be incredible. I'm looking forward to hearing it and seeing all the attention it gets.

Thanks for the review, Heather!
-LisaW
dtsHurricane

Postby dtsHurricane » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Oh, what were some of the auction and/or raffle items? Were there any small items available for purchase? What kind of budget would one need to plan for in the future? :lol:
-LisaW
dtsHurricane

PreviousNext

Return to Raise the Roof