AT Meet-Ups and Gatherings

California 101

Post your plans for AT pre/post show gatherings here.

Moderators: LizzyD, lookingout86, COKeekers

California 101

Postby downpour1985 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:20 pm

A fellow ATer and I are attending 4 of the 6 Brandi shows in California area in August. We'll be hitting San Fransisco, Santa Monica, and other places as well., i need some help guys.. some California 101. If anybody has some suggestions on places we should visit along the way, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm pretty much a first timer, so some touristy things are cool.. but not an overabundance please. I want to visit local spots that tourists don't know about, and places they never knew to go. So my friends, if there's any of you out there that know of any awesome places... please let me know.

Aug 09, 2013 San Diego, CA - Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay
Aug 10, 2013 Anaheim, CA - House of Blues
Aug 15, 2013 Saratoga, CA - The Mountain Winery
Aug 16, 2013 Turlock, CA - Turlock Community Theatre

Thanks and see you out there!

-Meghan
downpour1985
Needs to see a few more shows!

Re: California 101

Postby SDClark5 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Meghan,

I live in SD and have been to the Saratoga venue and have a little local knowledge of that area as well. Anyways, it's hard to give specific suggestions without knowing your interests and tastes.

Short answer. San Diego has great weather so you can find all outdoor activities in great abundance. If you're looking to chill we have nice beaches. The zoo is world class. Interestingly, the area has become a center of the craft beer universe (I think there are now over 70 breweries in the county and almost all,of the have tasting rooms). And, for years this was a food desert, but in the last 6 or 7 years the restaurant scene has developed to the point I can now impress my foodie friends from LA - a lot of it is very inexpensive.

I can get more specific if you want. How much time do you have? What area are you staying in? Do you want restaurant/food/beer recommendations?

The one specific suggestion i wll make - bring a sweater!
SDClark5
Has caught the bug!

Postby markC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 am

Well, I know this is a bit touristy, but if you going to be in SF, what's kinda cool would be going up Coits Tower and look at the "city by the bay" under a sunrise (although it'll most likely be foggy and wet); then walk down the hill through the quaint streets of North Beach (the traditional Italian neighborhood made famous by the Beat Generation), watch the elderly Chinese residents perform their morning Tai Chi in Washinton Square Park (which I'm sure they still do), besides St Peter & Paul Church (made renown in "Dirty Harry"). Then after a walk passing cafes, a few strip joints (if they're still there), you can cross Broadway, check out City Lights Books (if it hasn't closed down), and then through the market-filled streets of Chinatown. Then it's noon.
Yeah. Touristy, but memorable. Also, like SD wrote: bring a sweater (or a jacket and/or umbrella).
“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.” - Harriet Tubman
markC
Too much time on their hands!

Postby downpour1985 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:21 pm

markC: Coits Tower is a definite stop I'm making, as well as taking some trolleys, seeing The Golden Gate Bridge; checking out Lombard street, the fisherman's wharf, and possibly taking a bay ferry boat ride to see Alcatraz. I'm all for touristy! Hopefully I have time to cross Broadway, check out City Lights Books, and then walk through the market-filled streets of Chinatown (would be great! thanks). Thanks markC! Very Very much appreciated!

SDClark5: My interests pretty much consist of Brandi Carlile, being somewhat of a closeted artist .. any sort of artistic expression (music, painting, tattoos, photography.. etc.), not a big drinker but wouldnt mind kewl places to chill out.. cafes outside.. record shops.. Also am an avid phtographer novice.. Finding odd angles.. seeing things others dont see.. i live for that. We're coming from LA to the show that night.. only a 2hr drive. Probably will drive back after the show. Will have the morning-evening before the show to look around.
Thankyou for replying.. i thought i had cooties or something..

My facebook is Meghan Reddington, would be easier to use messenger..

Thankyou both of you! Seriously! I love this forum.

downpour1985

Postby markC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:43 am

downpour1985 wrote:...and possibly taking a bay ferry boat ride to see Alcatraz.

Oh, yeah: Alcatraz! I didn’t mention that since I didn’t know how long you were going to be in the city; but the excursion to Alcatraz was the most touristy thing I had done there! I passed on the cable cars, ‘cause I thought the tourists riding them looked really silly…but, now, I kinda wished I hadn’t felt that way [just a dumb kid at the time].
“I freed a thousand slaves. I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves.” - Harriet Tubman
markC

Postby downpour1985 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:36 am

Mark, im gonna be in California from August 9th-19th. Pretty sure were going to have at least a day in San Fran. I requested to drive on the PCH, and my buddy is totally up for it... so we're doing that on the way there. Probably going through Carmel as well.. on our way. Im going to have a few days in between shows to do some things.. probaly 3 days or so.. around the Glendale,LA, Santa Monica area.
downpour1985

Postby splashley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:56 am

Not totally sure on the geography of California, but I did a drive down PCH about 13 years ago and we got off at Newport! The beaches there are awesome, plus Newport is a really nice town. So if you find yourself around ere, you may want to make a stop.
Safe travels :D
-Ashley

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans- John Lennon
splashley
Has caught the bug!

Postby markC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Hey, Meghan! I don't know if you had ever walked in a Redwood Forest, but it's an amazing experience; might be the closest you ever get to feeling like a mushroom. I know that you have time constraints, so a drive up north to the Redwood Forest might not be realistic, but Muir Woods is just outside San Francisco; and if it's a fraction of the majesty of the Redwood National Forest...it could be well worth the visit.
(Of course, considering that this is the busiest season of the year, it might be unpleasantly crowded. I don't know. :-k Maybe someone our there has something to say about that? I read that there's a smaller park in Guerneville {along the Russian River}.)

Btw: Since we're talking Redwood Forest in The AT Forum-and since, in The Forum, most roads lead to Brandi...wouldn't it be awesome to hear Brandi sing Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" (and I mean-ALL the verses!)? Just saying...
markC

Postby SDClark5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:29 am

San Diego - the Torrey Pines gliderport is a kinda cool place to hang for an hour or so. Great view and you can watch para gliders jump off a cliff. Balboa Park is a great place to walk, visit a museum, and get a bite to eat. The venue is on Shelter Island which has a park along the shore line. Good place to picnic before the show.

Saratoga - the venue is on top of a mountain and is sorta similar to Red Rocks. Get there early and park next to an exit. Getting out of the parking lots after the show is a nightmare. Pack a picnic and enjoy the view of the South Bay. Bring a jacket or sweater as even in August it can get down right cold.
SDClark5
Has caught the bug!

Postby SDClark5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:32 am

And, if you the have time you should absolutely make the drive from Morro Bay to Monterey via Highway 1. IMO the most scenic stretch of highway in the US.
SDClark5
Has caught the bug!

Postby Teri » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:43 pm

I hope you have a wonderful trip! California has so much to offer so it is difficult to pick a few of my favorites without overwhelming you.
I agree with all the spots everyone has suggested. If you have time, I would also recommend Santa Barbara. There is an arts & crafts show along the beach there on Sundays. Nearby is a cute little Danish town called Solvang.
You mentioned you like photography so I highly recommend the Annenberg Space for Photography in LA. It is free (parking about $3). For good photo ops in LA I recommend Griffith Park & the observatory, the Getty Museum, and the Walt Disney Concert Hall. One of the best music stores in the country (my favorite) is Amoeba which is located not too far from Hollywood but there is also a location in San Fran. Please don't let the traffic, parking, etc ruin your day. LA is a great city with lots to offer!
I'll be at the Anaheim show too. Not my favorite venue but I can't stress this enough...get there early!!! Traffic can be so unpredictable & if you get there late you will get a horrible spot for the show. I've never been lucky with a good view there for a BCB show!
I hope you see this & that it helps. Enjoy your trip, be safe & if any other questions come to mind let us know!
:D
Teri

Return to AT Meet-Ups and Gatherings