News, Announcements, and Forum Rules

AgainToday.com - A History

Any changes to the board or board rules will be noted here.

Moderator: bertgos

AgainToday.com - A History

Postby hollyinpa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:16 pm

A few folks have asked how AT.com came to be.

So, here's a stab at the evolution of AgainToday.com (2005-present).

It's certainly not exhaustive, but gives folks an idea of our "roots". Feel free to message or email me (holly(at)againtoday.com) with any important dates/events that we may have inadvertently omitted.

*****************************************************************************************

Fall 2005 - Bert discovered Brandi's music via a Paste Magazine Sampler CD.

Oct/Dec 2005 - We went to our first BC shows in Philadelphia and joined the forum on Brandi's official website. Bert saw Brandi for the first time at Philadelphia's Tin Angel venue (capacity 75-100).

2006 - We learned that the forum on Brandi's official site was due to be shut down as a part of a website update leading up to the release of The Story.

Spring/Summer 2006 - We decided to reach out to Brandi's manager to see if he (and the band) would be amenable to us starting a fan forum once the official forum was shut down. We agreed to keep her manager (and the band) in the loop as we built the forum/website.

August 2006 - The AgainToday.com fan community was launched.

Late Spring 2007 - Brandi reached out to us to see if we at AgainToday.com would host an online auction for an autographed guitar to raise money for the family of Shane Wyrsch. Shane was a family friend who was killed suddenly by a drunk driver, leaving behind a wife and 2 small children.

May/June 2007 - As a way to celebrate Brandi's birthday, AT.com partnered with the Maple Valley Creative Arts Council to set up an AgainToday.com fund for the schools in Brandi's hometown - specifically focusing on the school's music programs. $3,000 was raised as a "birthday gift" to Brandi and was presented to Brandi at her June 2007 show at Moore Theatre in Seattle along with a book of birthday wishes from ATers.

June 2007 - AT.com hosted an online auction for the guitar and it raised about $2,000. The winner promptly gave the guitar to the Wyrsch family. After the auction, Brandi asked if we'd host another online auction for a house concert (in the Seattle area only) with proceeds to benefit the Wyrsch family. We gladly agreed and a group of ATers joined together to place a bid of $15,000 in the house concert auction and WE WON.

September 2007 - About 30-40 of us gathered together at an ATer's home in the Seattle area to be a part of this house concert. The guitar auction, paired with the proceeds from the house concert, raised almost $23,000 and ultimately paid off the mortgage for Zoe Wyrsch and her sons.

February 2008 - Brandi was among the headliners on the first Cayamo Cruise. Many ATers went on that cruise and AT.com hosted a fan gathering with Brandi and the Twins - allowing fans to meet the band, get autographs, etc. (These fan gatherings on Cayamo continued through 2013 - except in 2012 when Brandi wasn't on the cruise).

2008 - Looking Out Foundation was created through the US Charitable Trust.

September 2009 - In an effort to allow more fans to participate together to raise money for Looking Out Foundation, we (along with Brandi's support) launched the FIRST Raise the Roof Benefit at Triple Door in Seattle, WA. Fans from all over the US (and world) descended on Seattle for our first RTR.

We continued hosting Raise the Roof Benefits in Seattle each September in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Each year, the event raised more and more money for LOF and the causes it supported.

Spring 2012 - Bert and I were asked to join the Board of Directors of Looking Out Foundation and AgainToday.com/ATers gained more exposure as Brandi and the Twins mentioned them in updates and a direct link to AT.com was placed on Brandi's official website. Brandi began sharing special updates with the fans on the AT.com forum, including posting video and audio exclusives, answering fan questions, etc.

Summer 2012 - BC Street Team Program encouraged fans to help out at her shows - helping the band spread the word about LOF and its initiatives. ATers and other fans were actively engaged in sharing information with concertgoers at Brandi's shows. The Street Team member who got the most email addresses for LOF won a trip to the 2012 Raise the Roof event in Seattle.

September 2012 - Raise the Roof in Seattle, WA raised the most money yet - with over $33,000 going to LOF. Special guest, Mike McCready, was amazing!

Fall 2012 - Brandi began offering exclusive ATer pre-presale events to all of her headlining shows - reserving the best available seats for ATers and giving ATers a chance to purchase tickets before her regular pre-sales.

Winter 2012 to present - Plans are well underway for 2013 RTR events, including (for the first time) an East Coast RTR this fall.
hollyinpa
Needs to get a new hobby!

Re: AgainToday.com - A History

Postby JessicaMelrose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:39 pm

That was amazing, Holly! Thanks!
JessicaMelrose
Too much time on their hands!

Postby hollyinpa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:58 pm

You are welcome.

We've been asked how AT.com came to be several times and I thought it might be helpful to post our "history" here.
hollyinpa

Postby kk55 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Thanks Holly, I see that you and Bert have done such a great job on telling the history of the forum. I always see that you are up to date on any subject and put in a lot of time. One question- do you ever sleep?
kk55
Needs to see a few more shows!

Postby hollyinpa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:09 pm

kk55 wrote:Thanks Holly, I see that you and Bert have done such a great job on telling the history of the forum. I always see that you are up to date on any subject and put in a lot of time. One question- do you ever sleep?

Funny you should ask, kk55. I am not a good sleeper... :wink: I like to keep busy.
hollyinpa

Postby ProductofEphesus » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:42 am

This is a great history, Holly. I was surprised to see that I wasn't as late to the party as I thought I was. Thank you so much for all the hard work you and Bert put in. My experience wouldn't be the same without the two of you.

-Melissa
ProductofEphesus

Postby tigger » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

ProductofEphesus wrote:Thank you so much for all the hard work you and Bert put in. My experience wouldn't be the same without the two of you.

-Melissa

Totally agree, very thankful for you two (Holly & Bert) and my AT family.
Cogito ergo sum

... fill the world with music, love and pride.
tigger

Postby hollyinpa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Not a day goes by that we don't think of our AT family...
hollyinpa

Postby tigger » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 pm

when the BCB/AT museum begins, i have many items to add to it :wink:
Cogito ergo sum

... fill the world with music, love and pride.
tigger

Postby emmylou » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Thank you so much for posting that! Very cool!
emmylou
Keeps coming back for more!

Postby dtsHurricane » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 am

Even having been around for most of it, it's still nice to see a timeline of how this place has evolved. It feels like I've known many of my AT friends for longer than I have. Thankful for Bert & Holly and this atmosphere they've created.
-LisaW
dtsHurricane

Postby epowers816 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 pm

I can't thank you guys enough for everything you've done and continue to do. I've made so many friends and had so many incredible experiences thanks to AT and none of it would have been possible without all you guys have done. Thank you for sharing this!
"So you like show tunes; that doesn't mean you're gay. It just means you're awful!" -Sue Sylvester
epowers816
Keeps coming back for more!

Postby hollyinpa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

This history wasn't intended to be about us. It was intended to be about "US" - our collective community that has grown since those early days in 2006 to include fans from around the world. Sometimes I still sit here wondering how we got here...so grateful for each and every one of you.
hollyinpa

Postby sviera » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Y'all all have made this community one of my favorite places to be!
Sarah

The world changes in direct proportion to the number of people willing to be honest about their lives.
~Armistead Maupin
sviera

Postby Strange fire » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:08 am

Thanks for posting that Holly - I am a Johnny Come Lately so it was interesting to read.
Strange fire

Postby blusylvester » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Wow, this is awesome. I love all the work this forum and the band are doing!
I'd love to get involved! :D
blusylvester

Postby splashley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Thank you Holly and Bert, with out you this would not be possible! I love the ATer's and this forum! Rock On =D>
-Ashley

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans- John Lennon
splashley
Has caught the bug!

Postby itsalrightnow » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 am

Very cool! AT is one of the best fan communities I've ever been a part of.
"i think maybe i've never felt more alive."
http://www.facebook.com/fancythatmusic
itsalrightnow
Has caught the bug!

Postby mamahippy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

This forum has become so much a part of my and my daughter's lives - I have made many new friends and found out about so much about music (both Brandi's and other's). I also feel more aware of how I can do good in the world!
-Leslie

Postby jonilscott » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:01 pm

So excited to join this family! Outstanding job Holly & Bert!! =D> I can't wait to get involved.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
Abraham Lincoln
jonilscott

Postby MidwestMamacita » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:07 pm

Thank you so much for posting this, Holly & Bert! I am just now seeing this, but have always wondered how this group came about and how it became so tied into her humanitarian / LOF efforts. Thank you, thank you! :)
-Joy

"I would believe only in a God that knows how to dance." -Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
MidwestMamacita

Postby Tonyag » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:29 am

Thanks for sharing that, Holly, and for creating such an amazing place for so many cool people. AT'ers really are special and do great things!
Be the change you want to see in the world. Gandhi
Tonyag

Postby Nynkeline » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for sharing that! Hopefully i can do maybe something here for the looking out foundation! Or something else! But nice to read a little history about again today
Nynkeline

Postby candacecln » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:36 pm

I think this is a great page....just checking it out bc I haven't been on...
Love this history Holly!
candacecln

Postby tomatohead » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:48 am

Very nice history! You guys rock.
tomatohead

Next

Return to News, Announcements, and Forum Rules